This module prepares teachers to teach Biology/ Life Sciences from Grades 10-12.
Specific learning outcomes:
By the end of this module, students should be able to
- Critically discuss the place of Biology in the school curriculum.
- Devise appropriate teaching plans, lesson plans, learner activities and resource materials for Biology teaching.
- Identify and design strategies to correct common difficulties in teaching and learning Biology.
- Develop and implement assessment strategies for Biology.
- Critically discuss theoretical and practical issues in teaching Biology.
- Identify and use tools and technology for teaching specific knowledge and skills in Biology.
- PCK and the Biology/Life Sciences teacher
- Introduction to CAPS for Life Sciences
- The nature of science
- Difficult areas and misconceptions in Biology, including research in this area and strategies to overcome misconceptions
- Teaching strategies for incorporating practical work in Biology
- Environmental Education
- Resources for Biology teaching
- Communication in Biology
- Assessment in Biology
- Teacher: Angela James